How to share mobile hotspot connection through wifi network router
I was using broadband connection at home to connect home devices like TVs, Camera, Laptop, Mobiles, tablets, printer..etc. While I also have unlimited data in my mobile connection which was not utilized. Hence I decided to discontinue broadband connection and utilize mobile data.
Why should I pay for both connections, Broadband as well as Mobile connection. and in both connections, data was unlimited. People who don’t have unlimited data connection, most of the ISPs now carry forward your balance data and to next month. so today’s, in anyone internet connection, we have enough data. Let see how we can use mobile internet connection for all purpose.
Easiest way is, make mobile as hotspot and connect all devices to mobile hotspot. But there are few disadvantages
- you can’t connect a device which need wired connection.
- Existing Local network & peer to peer networking configuration need to reconfigure.
- Direct mobile connection has limit to connect number of devices.
Second way is, connect all devices with wifi router which you probably already have if using broadband connection. Wifi router is further connected to ADSl modem for internet connectivity. You just need to disconnect ADSL and connect wifi router to mobile hotspot for internet connection. Wifi router will actually work as wifi repeater.
- This will create a local network so that people can share files, printer and network services as before.
- Some time poor broadband services and its better to switch 4G network.
- You can avoid wiring which is required for broadband connection from ISP distribution point to ADSL Modem inside your home. Also avoid wiring issues in your locality resulting service disruption.
- No modification in Local Area Network. LAN will remain as it was with broadband.
Note: Wifi Switch will be disabled as DHCP and Your 4G mobile will be providing IP addresses to local devices.
Let’s configure wifi router as wifi repeater.
Login to your wifi router, Go to wireless section and click on wireless repeater option. You will get windows shown below. You might be using different make & model so find similar options.
Click “Repeater Enabled” check box and perform site survey. once you will click, you will get an messages that DHCP mode will be disabled if you enable repeater. Now your mobile will work as DHCP server once connected.
Click ok on the messages. and you will see available wifi connections. Make sure your mobile hotspot is ON. so that wifi repeater can detect your mobile hotspot connection.
Select your mobile hotspot connection and click next. On the next screen, provide your mobile hotspot connection password to connect and click next.
Now on the next screen just change IP address to avoid IP conflict and finish this configuration.
Now wifi router will reboot automatically.
After 30 sec wifi router will reboot and will connect to your mobile hotspot connection to access internet. Now you can connect your wired & wireless devices to your wifi router. Devices will receive a IP address provided by your mobile hotspot device. Now you can connect to your local devices as well as to internet.